Saturday, March 18, 2017

Rhythm, colour and freedom: the poetics of flux

(Published in Fountain Ink, February 2016)

(Latheesh Mohan on the changing nature of his poetry, the politics  and life experiences that inform it, and the need for a language of sexual use.)



When everyone either returns
Or goes away to go astray,
A prohibited person
Comes out of her self
And waits to say
That the green
Which flowers and sways
On hilltops and sea-slopes
Are the valleys inside my self;
That it’s through my self
The trains climb the hills
Seeking
The shadow-complaints of winter.

--Latheesh Mohan (Who will write the travelogues of hilltops?)



An unapologetic sensual stylist and an even more unapologetic campaigner of a set of  ideals that is at odds with the domineering mores of Malayalam’s political lexicon, Latheesh Mohan’s poetry is characterized by a penchant, bordering often on the absurd, for the riddles and spectacles of a reckless loneliness. Described by Balachandran Chullikkad, one of Malayalam’s finest poets, as a “test pilot of our future poetry”, Latheesh is the author of two groundbreaking antholgies: Pulp Fiction and Chevikal/ Chembarathikal (Ears/ Shoeflowers). 

Latheesh’s  blog www.junkiegypsy.blogspot.com has a cult following and an equally raucous set of detractors who brand him as a purveyour of affectations whose flashy poems convey nothing—“what does this poem mean?” being a constant gripe.  His poems are also already part of various university curriculums.

While the stylistic idiom of his ouevre has changed dramatically from an angst ridden rockstar sensibility that marked Pulp Fiction to a more complex, ruminative and almost enigmatic sensibilty that characterizes Chevikal/ Chembarathikal, his comitment to the set of core political idelas that gives his poems its signature texture and flavour has remained resolute. He holds anarchism and feminism as the two philosophical ideals on which his literature is premised; the fierce anti-hindutwa and anti-CPI (M) traits that define the more explicit facets of his politics being inevitable consequences of this fundamental orientation. The latter in particular is an anomaly in Malayalam where CPI (M) is not just a dominant political party, but also an enforcer of the prevailing hegemonic literary sensibility that it preserves and perpetuates through the massive legion it commands.

Presently pursuing his PhD in Philosophy from I.I.T Delhi, his third collection of poems  KSHA Valikkunna Kuthirakal (Horses that draw KSHA) will be published soon. The poems of this collection reflect yet another stylistic paradigm shift with a more pronounced emphasis on elaborate theatrical settings to stage the verse. Latheesh also writes and performs English poetry.

Here is Latheesh speaking on his poetics and politics.  

In your relatively short career, you have already carved out a unique space for yourself on account of the stylistic wizardry of your idiom, for the intensity of angst that you bring to your poems and for an unequivocal commitment to a set of core political ideals. Can you trace the trajectory of your journey so far?

The trouble with my life started when an upper-caste Hindu lady and a lower-caste Hindu man fell in love 36 years ago. Because they both possessed very high intensity and because the Indian caste system is an oppressive mechanical device against all kinds of love, they had no choice but to elope. First they went to Mangalore where I was born in 1982. Being neither emotionally nor financially prepared for a long-trip, they had to soon come back to their native town, Thiruvalla, in central Kerala , where they decided to live for the rest of their lives. They never managed to own any land. I spent my entire childhood in rented places - a gypsy in his ancestral town.

Looking back, my parents were by-products of the anti-endogamy politics that was so popular in Kerala in the first half of 20th century. It’s another matter altogether that they themselves never realised this. They were in any case too poor to know that. Now I see them as orphans of a social revolution. The anti-endogamy movement in Kerala created a theoretical base for social change but nobody really cared about cultivating a cushion structure to support its Quixotic byproducts. Those who were affected by and ventured with the theory were branded as romantic fools and were promptly outcast.

How significant an imprint has this ‘gypsy-in-hometown’ state of being left on the poems of Pulp Fiction, your first collection? The idea of home, and the torment of leaving the physical manifestation of that idea is a recurring image in many of those poems.

Even though I was born in the 80s, I got my eyesight right only in the nineties. During vacations me and my sister used to stay extensively with the families of our parents. Both families believed in the same mythical-Gods. But they prayed to different political-Gods. On the walls of my mother’s house, there hung the pictures of Vivekananda, Paramahamsa etc. But my father’s family had only Narayana Guru’s photo. I think I somehow developed a personal critique of both these systems very early on in my childhood.

My parents had no other option but to force their children to study well. And so they forced me to suffer the ruthlessness of a missionary school where I studied for ten very long years. For a game-loving and rebellious kid, there could not have been a more proper hell than a missionary school. When I think about all the hell-like places I have been to, the image of that school always appears first. It was not loneliness that I felt there, but an angst against a system that so viciously prevented even the possibility of a serious friendship. I started making friends only after the 10th standard. Mostly in communist circles. I spent almost my entire teenage days with the SFI crowd. But they were terrible. Even though they have relatively better systems of friendship, the nature of their politics is so exclusionary and normative. You must also keep in mind that the communist society in Central Kerala is led primarily by upper-caste Hindus and upper-caste Christians. In my opinion both these parties are preservationists to the core. The moment someone proposes words like ‘change’,‘freedom’ and ‘free speech’ they go hysterical.

The 90s were full of contradictory streams. On the one hand you had the effects of liberalization: Mtv culture and other light and sound businesses, and on the other hand the emergence of a rabid Hindutva politics. I was stationless at that point. I had lived and got myself bored with Hindus, Christians and Communists and was already tired. That’s the time when I decided to hit the road. Leaving home was the biggest risk I took in life. It was a painful decision too to make. It is easy for the Sidhardhas of this world to leave their homes as they leave behind no hungry souls; for the single male child of a wretched household, it is a cruel decision to take. It hurts you like a needle left on the nerve forever. 

In many ways, Pulp Fiction was  also a manifesto of sorts for the teen rebel angst of those who grew up in the 90s.

Pulp Fiction, in my opinion, didn’t really succeed in fulfilling it’s intended objective. I was trying hard to bypass the obscenely patriarchal framework of modern Malayalam poetry but I couldn’t make it happen in Pulp Fiction. Mainly because the boy who wrote those poems was preoccuppied with using  anger as his primary poetic device. And there was too much of it: anger and angst. But Pulp Fiction did work, as you said, like a pop manifesto of teenage poetry. There was a flood of teenage poems after the publication of that particular book. Even now, after eight years of its publication, I get to see crude imitations of poems from that book. I really don’t know what to make of the aesthetic validity of that book. But I cannot deny the fact that it did offer me a strong foundation from where I could build brick by brick.

So, was it a process of arriving at a deeper awareness of your own political philospohy that later led you to a poetic world vastly different in its tone and tenor from that of Pulp Fiction’s?

In a sense, yes. Though its never as simple as it sounds. There was a period wwhen I roamed around South India almost aimlessly for years. Worked with many newspaper offices that paid pea nuts and resigned from more jobs than I actually committed to. But during that period I found out the three things that would become the binding ideals of my poetry: feminism, anarchism and Dalit politics. Almost all the friends I now have are either artists or feminists or Dalits or anarchists. Even though I started writing poetry from my early childhood, I think, I found my idiom only after I got welcomed by these four groups of people. My poetry - the politics inherent in it - is a by product of all these structural and situational complications. My poetic thought is pro feminist/Dalit/anarchist in nature and it essentially hates Hindutva, Christianity and the patriarchal and the apologetic Aadhunikatha (‘modernity’) idiom that was so very dominant in Malayalam poetry in the last decades of 20th century.

What was the poetic millieu of 90’s and early 2000’s? What do you think were the factors that prompted you, after the publication of Pulp Fiction, to develop an idiom that marked probably the sharpest rupture from that millieu?

Poetry scene of Kerala in 90s and the first decade of 21st century was so frenzied. Kerala is full of poets anyway. But the last decade of 20th and 1st decade of 21st C were more hectic with so much activity from many sides. The Modern stream, spearheaded by people such as K Satchidanandan, K G Sankarappillai, Ayyappa Panicker Balachandran Chullikkadu, A Ayyappan, Vijayalakshmi, Attoor Ravivarma, Kadamanitta Ramakrishnan, D Vinayachandran and Savithri Rajeevan was of course the most dominant one. But the postmodern stream, locally known as Puthukavitha (New Poetry) – which was led by poets like P Raman, P P Ramachandran, K R Tony, T P Rajeevan, Veeran Kutty, Anvar Ali, Anita Thampi, Sreekumar Kariyad, P N Gopikrishnan, Manoj Kuroor, Kuzhur Wilson, Vishnuparasad, S Kannan, Rupesh Paul etc - was also dominant, at least, in the Avant Garde circles in which I was more interested in. The school of traditional poetry - poets such as O N V Kurupp, Madhushoodhanan Nair, Sugatha Kumari, Vishnunarayanan Namboothiri - was popular too. And then you had the dalit stream - S Joseph, M R Renukumar, Binu M Pallippadu, M B Manoj etc- which was already strong. And there was also bits and pieces of feminist writing coming up - Prabha Zacharias, Dona Mayoora, Gargi Harithakam, Sereena, Sindhu K V, Dhanya M D, Uma Rajiv, Padma etc. A group of poets of my generation - S Kalesh, Ajeesh Dasan, M R Vishnuprasad, T P Vinod, Pramod K M, Krispin Joseph, Sudheesh Kottembram etc - was also finding its own voice and feet. So, you see, in this sea of poets if you want to raise your claim you have to come up with something absolutely different. I already had a different political content. What I needed was a different rhythm pattern that would go well with both the urban and rural flow of my lived experiences.

Your immediate predecessors, the poets of the Puthukavutha movement were extremely keen on a lucid, very direct, and primarily a minimal style.  It is from them and their style that you seem to have broken away the farthest---in terms of both developing an elaborately circuitous narrative language and in terms of reclaiming a long lost tradition of philosophizing the immediate political context of the poet.

I have followed the Puthukavitha tradition very keenly and many of the poets from that tradition are close to me. They created, as an immediate response to the rhetorical style of Modernism, a language style that was clear and precise in its execution. But they somehow ended up making that trait a motto of their collective effort. Saying things directly became the norm. And that norm was followed in a very particular fashion. Over indulgence in the idea of poetic-democracy somehow forced them to adopt a content style that is everyday and devoid of philosophical complications. They also cultivated an ambition to get back to the roots. Though I was fascinated by their ability to create images that dwell deep, I soon got bored with the idea of depth. Depth was everything they were chasing. I was interested in the river and rain than in the idea of digging deep. They shied away from any philosophical engagement, even though they kept the political stream alive in their corpus. The classical tradition of Malayalam poetry which I am fond of - Narayana Guru, Kumaran Asan, Vyloppilli Sreedhara Menon, Balamani Amma etc - was heavy with philosophical meditations. Also there was a stream alive in the Avant Garde tradition - Maythil Radhakrishnan, Kalpatta Narayanan, K A Jayaseelan etc - which kept its links with philosophy even though they were more into the everyday deliberation when compared with the classical meditation. I think the close reading of all these people helped me to break out from all these traditions.
  
While angst remains a primary subject in all three of your collections, you have moved away from the restlessness of Pulp Fiction to a sort of volatile stillness in Chevikal/Chembarathikal, and from that to a theatrically staged flow of both ideas and rhythm patterns in your recent poems.

I was an avid swimmer in the childhood. When I think about my childhood, it is about the rivers that I think. The idea of flow was ingrained in me that way. The teenage gypsy life I had in the Metro cities of South India further helped to fuse that childhood idea of flow with the Hongkong-lighting you get from the night life of Metro cities. Then there were all kind of drugs. These jumbled circumstances led me to formulate a different idea of rhythm after the publication of Pulp Fiction: Rhythm that also takes into consideration the play of light along with the flow of water. A couple of broken love-relationships helped to intensify the mixture of color, flow and freedom. Especially the tormenting end of a long relationship made me think a lot about rhythm and relationships. One break up and you are nowhere. All your sense of direction is lost. Down and out one realises that what keeps you going is your ability to form rhythmic repetitive engagement with the other. During those long stream of depression and sleepless nights I kept a diary and noted down whatever I was thinking about the flow. I think that was the turning point. When I came out of that dark lonely room of depression I had a different poetic style ready with me. No more boastful, no more down-and-out, but a container of violent flow. From a teenage rebel to a more settled but still violent person who takes the third person seriously as against his previous preoccupation with the melancholic first person.

And then came the internet.

It was the advent of internet that gave me ample time to experiment with the form. The political content was already formed but without publishing regularly it was difficult to come up with a unique form or a rhythm-pattern. Internet helped a lot in this regard. My blog in Malayalam had a fair share of readers. Even though the poems I published on it created a lot of public uproar - for reasons related to morality and intelligibility - it gave me a fare share of audience for whom I could imagine I was making a new poetic style. Major part of my defenders on the online space were women. It helped to maximize the feminist-side of my poetic intentions.

You have always been a staunch critique of the much celebrated and much romantisized Malayalam modernity’s poetic and political projects. Could you elaborate on that?

My reluctance to identify myself as a modern subject is probably where it all stems from. I have never liked the word modern, especially in the context of Malayalam poetry. It is difficult to create the notion of the modern without presupposing the binary primitive. In my opinion the human condition is static. There is a general tendency to transcend but it is evident that the human animal will never transcend its condition. If the cat is always a cat, the wo/man is always a wo/man. Modernism is actually a supra-claim that holds the view that technological advancement transcended us from human condition. It is important to note that the western modernism is so-closely linked with the advent of the printing machine. It’s like claiming that ‘look, I have developed some technical toys/tools, so I have somehow transcended the condition of my father’.  What I see here is just a clever son branding his father as primitive and himself as modern. It is easy for the grandson to play the same trick his father played.  And that he does anyway. He proclaims himself post-modern (another illusion of transcendence) and pushes his father (post-primitive) back into the level of primitive. This is a nice game to play but unfortunately it says more about the father-and-son game and maybe about Id and Ego, if you prefer, rather than about the basic spatial human situation.

Modern Malayalam poetry was unashamedly tripping on that binary. They positioned themselves over and above everything else by just conceiving the other as primitive. This trend was dominant for over three decades, considering post modernism as an essential part of modern theory based on the rhetoric of rupture. A departure from this trend happened when Dalit poetry arrived in the 90s. In my opinion, Dalit poetry is the best thing to have happened in recent Malayalam literature. They collectively claimed the domain of the non-primitive-and-the-non-modern and problematised the notion of agency. Before Dalit poets, modern poets were speaking for everyone without really bringing anyone to the stage. They wrote Marxist poetry, subaltern poetry, feminist poetry, Hindu poetry and the Jesus Christ superstar stuff without really bringing any character from these areas to the stage. For the modern poets, women or Dalits were simply issues that demanded sympathetic engagement. The upper caste Hindu male - the Modern poet - stood on the stage like a solitary crusader and claimed the agency of everyone else. In that process they also worked as the agents who blocked the entry of others onto the stage. Patronisation was their bread and butter. And their poetry became obituary-like.

One criticism often levelled against you is regarding the cryptic nature of your poems, some dismissing it as gimmicry masquerading as high art. On the other hand, your style has also spawned a legion of imitators who pay scant attention to the poetics of your idiom. How do you react to that?

I understand the poetic activity as a process that aims to create a language for future generations. Poetry is the laboratory where you try out better versions of language for future use. I subscribe to Maritin Heidegger’s idea here (only here, only in lit-crit) that postulates ‘everyday language as used up poetry’. When you see the future generations as your target audience it’s normal that you have trouble with the current crop. People don’t like the idea that their language is temporal. When you suggest a change in the use of language it is normal that they resist.

I don’t know why my poetry gets imitated in this scale. I was furious about it at one point. Now I am cool with it as I see people using it as only an entry point. People read you and get into the poetic  activity and then break away from you. I hope that process of breaking away happens with the people you are mentioning.

What do you think could be the reason for the widespread popularity enjoyed by your poems like Pala Upamakalil Manjukalam (Winter in many similies) that engage with sexuality?

My poetic engagement with sexuality is a conscious political act. Malayalam poetry is still driven by a system of ridiculously regressive codes of morality. Even after practicing the rhetoric of free-sex and stuff like that you get very little poetry on this theme. Usually what happens is that you get lot of things written on the idea of sexual frustration and then it gets theorized as sexual poetry. My poems on sexuality are an attempt to cultivate a new language for sexual use. Like a clear language that is useful for activities such as phone-sex, language that can be used for foreplay etc. There is a criminal lack of clear sexual language in Indian languages. The Malayalam that is generally used for sexual needs is either heavy on English or the normal lexicon of sexual language is very male-centric and offensive. It is difficult to change the gender hierarchy without changing the language that is used for romance and sex. I think that project will be taken forward seriously by the future generations.

You are now writing and performing poetry in English too. Any specific reasons?

There were many attempts to translate my poetry. Many people tried that and I liked none. I tried to translate them myself and then figured out that is not an easy job to do. Because the rhythm in Malayalam poems are drawn from the images you get in Kerala, in translation it goes up in smoke. If you want to translate the rhythm you need to translate the landscape.This is why I gave up this whole idea of translating and decided to stick to writing original poems in English. I had a real struggle with the English language in the beginning. Because I was so deeply involved with the technical details of the Malayalam language whenever I tried to reproduce the flow in English language I found myself lost in the syntax. I think my English writing started working after I encountered theater. Two years of performance studies really helped me to understand how a language performs, especially English. It also gave me a fare idea of the relationship between page and stage. I really enjoy performing poetry. I hope I will grow in that area.


In times like these when writers like NS Madhavan says that the art of 21t centurys is suicide notes, how would you prefer to locate poetry?

N S Madhavan can say anything. I usually don’t care much about what people like him say. But what he did here, terming Rohit Vemula’s suicide note as literature, is absolutely cruel. Irrespective of what people like him say, the literature of our times is still literature. Suicide notes are written with blood. One cannot write literature with blood. You don’t produce literature with blood, even if you are a person who takes romantic metaphors seriously.


No comments:

Post a Comment